I’ve been pulling together data for a report that summarizes our accomplishments last year, and I thought it was worth noting our publications for 2011, including manuscripts that were largely written in 2011 but don’t come until this year (yes, these are technically 2012 pubs, but that just means we get to count them now and in 2012 round-up!) In short, we had some great pubs in 2011, at least in my mind: a mix of high profile results (1,8), high profile reviews (7,9), a strong opinion (3), basic research (2,5,6,9), and a critical re-evaluation (4) of what was arguably the biggest splash in insect science last year – the treehopper prothoracic wing (“helmet”) paper by Prud’homme et al. in Nature.
- Copeland, RS, Kirk-Spriggs, AH, Muteti, S, Booth, W, Wiegmann, BM (2011) Rediscovery of the “terrible hairy fly”, Mormotomyia hirsuta Austen (Diptera: Mormotomyiidae), in eastern Kenya, with notes on biology, natural history, and genetic variation of the Ukasi Hill population. African Invertebrates 52 (2): 363-390.
- Deans, A. R. (2011) Evaniidae of Cuba (Insecta: Hymenoptera). Solenodon 9: 55-65.
- Deans, A. R., M. J. Yoder, J. P. Balhoff (2012) Time to change how we describe biodiversity. Trends in Ecology and Evolution (in press) doi:10.1016/j.tree.2011.11.007
- Mikó, I., F. Friedrich, M. J. Yoder, H. M. Hines, L. L. Deitz, M. A. Bertone, K. C. Seltmann, M. S. Wallace, A. R. Deans (2012) On dorsal prothoracic appendages in treehoppers (Hemiptera: Membracidae) and the nature of morphological evidence. PLoS ONE 7(1): e30137 doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0030137
- Sharkey, M. J., J. M. Carpenter, L. Vilhelmsen, J. Heraty, J. Liljeblad, A. P. G. Dowling, S. Schulmeister, D. Murray, A. R. Deans, F. Ronquist, L. Krogmann, W. C. Wheeler (2011) Phylogenetic relationships among superfamilies of Hymenoptera. Cladistics 27: 1-33. doi:10.1111/j.1096-0031.2011.00366.x
- Trautwein, M. D., B. M. Wiegmann, and D. K. Yeates. (2011) Overcoming the effects of rogue taxa: Evolutionary relationships of the bee flies. PLOS Currents: Tree of Life 2011, Feb 21.
- Trautwein, M. D., B. Wiegmann, R. Beutel, K. Kjer and D. K. Yeates (2012). Advances in insect phylogeny at the dawn of the postgenomic era. Annual Review of Entomology 57:449-68. doi:10.1146/annurev-ento-120710-100538
- Wiegmann, B. M., M. D. Trautwein, I. S. Winkler, N. B. Barr, J. W. Kim, C. Lambkin, M. A. Bertone, B. K. Cassel, K. M. Bayless, A. M. Heimberg, B. M. Wheeler, K. J. Peterson, T. Pape, B. J. Sinclair, J. H. Skevington, V. Blagoderov, J. Caravas, S. N. Kutty, U. Schmidt-Ott, G. E. Kampmeier, F. C. Thompson, D. A. Grimaldi, A. T. Beckenbach, G. W. Courtney, M. Friedrich, R. Meier, and D. K. Yeates. (2011) Episodic radiations in the fly tree of life. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 108 (14): 5690-5695. doi:10.1073/pnas.1012675108
- Yeates, D.K. and B.M. Wiegmann (2012). The impact of the Manual of Nearctic Diptera on Phylogenetic Dipterology. The Canadian Entomologist, in press.
I think the Mikó et al. paper (4) is worth a deeper exploration, so István or I willl try to write something up by this evening.